Monday, April 20, 2009

Denver Film Society: "The Examined Life"

The film, "The Examined Life," will be shown this Friday, April 25 at the Starz Film Center, and will be followed by a panel of philosophers from University of Colorado at Denver. This film features interviews with contemporary philosophers such as Cornell West and Peter Singer --probably my least favorite contemporary philosopher, for the record. I plan to attend this event and perhaps convoke with interested souls afterward at a nearby establishment. I hope to see you there.

3 comments:

Daniel said...

Do you mind if I ask your thoughts on Cornell West? I'm seeing him more and more on book covers and guest lectures. He seems to be popular among a wide audience, not just with philosophers. And maybe he always has, which would show how much I know.

Douglas Groothuis, Ph.D. said...

I have not read that much of him. He is far left politically and ascribes to the "institutional racism" theory to explain problem for minorities. There is little institutional racism left, especially against blacks, given The Civil Rights Act, affirmative action, and so on.

David Parker said...

I was able to attend this event and though "The Examined Life" was a little too much like "The Waking Life" (what the panelist was referring to when jokingly suggested that there should be some re-animation).

The discontinuity of the film sort of annoyed me, but I would still recommend it.

Dr. Groothuis,

Tried to catch you afterwards but the discussion went on to long!