Friday, July 31, 2009

One Email in a Lifetime: Neil Postman

Eric Goodman tracked down Neil Postman's only email communication, in which he channels the ghost of Marshall McLuhan.

----------
Subject: Observing the Law, 1997

This is the Ghost of Marshall McLuhan speaking to you. I don't haveto tell you from what world I come. I am using Chris Nystrom's facilityin order to reach you. I will say what I have to say only once. Youwill not hear from me again unless you persist in your foolishness.

Does the word "books" mean anything to you? Do you have so much timeon your hands that you can afford to waste yourselves on this infernalmachine? Have you already accumulated so much wisdom that you no longerneed to read the best that has been thought and written? Is this theway you honor the work and life of my great friend and disciple, NeilPostman? Do any of you actually know how to spell?

I have now read all of your idiotic messages. Hear, now, The Law:Every medium taken to its furthest extent flips to its opposite. Thusthe written word, which is the source of all the intellect we have,when used in this unholy fashion becomes a medium for the expression ofall our stupidities. This, you have demonstrated amply. Enough, I say.

I must now return from whence I came. Remember what happened to the Hebrews when they did not follow the Law.

Ghost

No comments: