Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Ways to Further the Ministry

Christian thinkers need to get out the word about the truth, rationality, and pertinence of Christianity. You can help me do this in several ways.

1. Become a Facebook friend to keep up with my talks, essays, views, etc. Warning: you will get a heavy dose of Groothuis views on just about everything: politics, culture, jazz, philosophy, apologetics, dogs, etc.

2. Follow me on Twitter for the same reason: @DougGroothuis.

3. Check my blogs: The Constructive Curmudgeon and Christian Apologetics (dedicated to my book of the same title).

4. If you think Christian Apologetics helps further the mission of God, you can support the book in several ways.

a. Review it on Amazon, Barnes and Noble or your blog, Facebook, and so on. “Like” it on Amazon.
b. If you are an aspiring author, review it for an academic publication or magazine.
c. Purchase a copy for your pastor, local library, or church library.
d. Teach from it in an adult education class or make it the book for a book discussion. Yes, this will take some time.
e. Recommend the book to opinion-shapers in the church and the larger culture.

5. Let me know how I might help you engage in apologetics and evangelism. I can speak to campus groups, churches, and in other public forums on all manner of apologetics and moral topics. I am happy to meet one-on-one or in small groups with unbelievers who have questions about Christianity.

6. I have a number of audio and video messages on line in various places, such as YouTube. Take advantage of these and let your friends know about them.

May it be done for the glory of God and the advancement of his Kingdom,

Doug Groothuis

7 comments:

Brian said...

Here's a good place to start for some talks, quotes, and resources by Doug.

The Atheist Missionary said...

I would follow you on twitter by @DougGroothuis has blocked @AtheistMission. I'm not sure why. I must have asked you something you didn't like. I'm just searching for the truth.

Douglas Groothuis, Ph.D. said...

AM: I have no idea why this happened. I don't remember doing it.

Douglas Groothuis, Ph.D. said...

I just started following Atheistmission on twitter. I don't know why you cannot follow me--unless you were rude and I blocked you some time ago.

The Atheist Missionary said...

I have now followed you - thanks. My twitter handle is often misinterpreted and is intended to be sarcastic. I am fascinated by the philosophy of religion and my only aim is to expose religious belief systems to critical analysis. I know you don't object to that and that you have devoted much of your life's work to that study. I disagree with many of your views but I greatly respect your intellect.

I don't recall being rude and I apologize if I said something in the past which you interpreted as rude. Distilling comments/questions to 140 charcaters is very difficult.

I have finished all but the final appendix of your Christian Apologetics and just have a couple of questions:

1. Does your compatibilism not require agreement with the proposition that God preordained the Fall? If you have written anything on this, I would love to read it.

2. Am I correct in understanding that you believe macroevolution, if proven, to be a defeater for Christianity?

I will DM you my contact particulars on twitter - I do that with all academics who I pose questions to. Best, TAM.

Douglas Groothuis, Ph.D. said...

AM: Thanks for your interaction. I appreciate you reading my whole book.

1. My view on the fall is pretty clear in my chapter 25, but if you want a further elaboration, read the pertinent sections in The Westminster Confession, part of which I quote in chapter 25.

2. I don't think macro-evolution is a hard defeater for Christianity, but I think it would render it take away an important part of the overall case for Christianity. Notable Christians embrace Darwinism in some sense: Alister McGrath, Francis Collins, etc.

Zgob said...

Hi. Not sure my other comment came through. Anyway, Dr Groothuis, with your response to TAM i get it that you do not agree with The Biologos Forum's position on science and Faith? To TAM, perhaps you will be interested with The Biologos view on the the evolution question. I think they fully ascribe to evolutionary theory minus the atheism and philosophical naturalism/reductionism. They don't see a divorce between theism and evolutionary theory.