Doug Groothuis, Ph.D., Professor of Philosophy,
Auraria Master Plan, February 15, 2011
So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth.—Jesus Christ (Revelation 3:16)
I. What is Christianity?
A. Christian theism: worldview
1. Creation (Genesis 1-2; Romans 1)
2. Fall (Genesis 3; Romans 2-3)
3. Redemption, salvation (Romans 4-8)
II. On Being a Christian
A. The gospel (John 3:16; 1 Corinthians 15:1-7; Ephesians 2:8-9)
B. Justification (Romans 5:1-8)
C. Discipleship, sanctification
1. The Cross (Luke 9:23-26; 1 John 2:15-17)
2. Faith: moment-by-moment trust in God (John 14-16)
1. Universal call
a. Love God with all your being; and your neighbor as yourself (Matthew 22:37-40; 1 Corinthians 13)
b. Glorify God and seek his Kingdom (1 Corinthians 10:31; Matthew 6:33; Psalm 63)
2. Particular call
Use your gifts according to the needs of the world for the glory of God. See Os Guinness, The Call.
III. Zeal According to Knowledge: Apostle Paul
A. Saul’s conversion (Acts 9)
B. Apostle Paul’s attitude (Acts 22:24)
C. Apostle Paul in action
1. Spiritual warfare (Acts 13:1-12; see also Ephesians 6:10-19)
2. Among the intellectuals: apologetics (Acts 17:16-34; Romans 12:1-2)
3. Paul’s secret power (Galatians 2:20; 6:14)
IV. Your Whole-Hearted Christianity
A. Make sure you are a Christian, a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ: You must be born again (John 3)
B. Repent of anything that keeps you from putting Christ and this Kingdom first (Matthew 4:17; Luke 24:46-49)
C. Seek God for direction, strength, and fruitfulness (Psalm 62-63; Matthew 6:33; 7:7-8)
Further Book Resources:
1. Harry Blamires, The Christian Mind.
2. Os Guinness, The Call: Finding and Fulfilling the Central Purpose of Your Life
3. J.P. Moreland, Kingdom Triangle: Recover the Christian Mind, Renovate the Soul, Restore the Spirit's Power.
4. Nancy Pearcey, Total Truth: Liberating Christianity From its Cultural Captivity.
5. John Piper, Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God .
6. John Piper, Don’t Waste Your Life.
7. Francis Schaeffer, The God Who is There. I have read this book ten times, starting in 1976.
8. Francis Schaeffer, True Spirituality. A modern classic.
9. Mark Sayers, The Trouble With
10. John Stott, Basic Christianity. A modern classic.
11. Brother Yun and Paul Hattaway, The Heavenly Man. The compelling story of a Chinese convert and his amazing exploits for the Lord.