Tuesday, August 06, 2024

Jazz and Politics

This blog has been dormant for some time, probably since 2015, but that does not mean that my passion for this uniquely American music has waned. I have written about jazz mostly since then at All About Jazz. But I offer a short reflection on jazz and politics sparked by a book I started reading.

As a jazz aficionado and political conservative (but not a Trump fan), I sometimes observe that conservatives are hostile to jazz as a destructive force. Richard Weaver thought so, and I responded to this screed at All About Jazz some time ago. On the other hand, today I was reading a book of jazz history and interpretation called Living Space, which casually dropped a line that the progress made in free jazz was somehow counteracted by a turn to the right in politics. This was offered as self-evidence and not elaborated on. Perhaps the author will elaborate later in the book.

Jazz is sometimes tied to cultural and political rebellion. It gave voice and expression to many African- Americans during segregation and Jim Crow. Rebelling against evil is good. Rebelling against good is evil. But conservativism in politics does not mean to conserve racism, but rather allow for liberty under law for the common good. There is nothing anti-jazz about that nor is jazz against that.

Later this year, a book will be published called "Theology and the Blues," which will feature a chapter by me called, "Racial Progress Through American Music: Spirituals, Blues, Jazz, and Beyond," which outlines how blacks have advanced their cause through music. This was originally a chapter in my book, "Fire in the Streets," which is a critique of Critical Race Theory. However, when the manuscript swelled beyond the original word limit, it had to be excised. My appreciation for black achievement in music and politics through music is not contradictory to the Christian-conservative vision I articulate in "Fire in the Streets."

No comments: