- Christopher Hitchens
- Jan 4, 2013
- Series: Denver Journal Volume 16 - 2013
- God is sovereign and all-good.
- Humans are mortal and sinful.
- Therefore (a), God has no need for prayer by mortal and sinful humans, given his character (1).
- Therefore (b), Humans have no need for prayer, since it would be superfluous at best and presumptuous at worst.
- God, who is sovereign and good, has instituted intercession as one means by which he rules the world. That is, God ordains both the means (including intercessory prayer) and the ends (the final result of his sovereign will).
- God instructs us on how to engage in intercessory prayer in the Bible and enjoins us to pray accordingly.
- Therefore, we should intercede with God according to biblical truths, as best we can ascertain them as fallen mortals.
Professor of Philosophy