Tuesday, November 17, 2009

An Open Letter to George Will, Also Posted on his Facebook Page

Mr. Will:

I have great respect for your political and cultural judgments.

I hope you will rethink your position.I do not understand your antipathy to the Intelligent Design movement. I am a philosopher and author who has studied Darwinism and its critics for three decades. The Intelligent Design arguments against the idea that there is no evidence of design in biology are profound, as exhibited by Michael Behe, William Dembski, and Steven Meyer. Perhaps the most profound analysis and argument thus far is Dr. Meyer's magisterial work, The Signature in the Cell (HarperOne, 2009).

I hope you will rethink your position.

Respectfully,
Doug Groothuis
Professor of Philosophy
Denver Seminary

3 comments:

Daniel said...

Dr. Groothuis,

I'm curious as to what basis Will finds ID illegitimate? He's a political scientist where I would think that promoting ID on the basis of academic freedom would be high on his list.

Ray said...

Dr. Groothuis,

Are you familiar with the new book "Who Made God" by Edgar Andrews:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0852347073/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p14_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1WF3ZD0A149KGKZ5FTNM&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

If so, would you recommend it? Thanks.

Douglas Groothuis, Ph.D. said...

He rejects it out of court. Read his columns on this. I doubt he has read Behe, Dembski, Meyer.