Saturday, October 24, 2009

Epaphras Today

"Epaphras, who is one of you and a servant of Christ Jesus, sends greetings. He is always wrestling in prayer for you, that you may stand firm in all the will of God, mature and fully assured. I vouch for him that he is working hard for you and for those at Laodicea and Hierapolis."--Colossians 4:12-13
Where are the Ephaprases today? Would you like to become one? Would you like for form a Company of Ephaphrases? Who truly agonizes in prayer over the sin and sickness and demonical problems in the world today?! Who wrestles in prayer and fasting that the Kingdom of God may break forth with unmistable power? I truly want to know...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Count me in!!!

Yossman said...

I struggle with my dual nature. On the one hand I want to pray, struggle on my knees for a broken world. I want to be God's intercessor (well one of them). The other side of me wants to stay in bed in the morning, is too tired in the evening, gives priority to studying, etc.

When I don't pray enough I feel guilty, ashamed. I am aware that that I am not fulfilling my calling. When I do pray (30 minutes or over) I feel content, I rejoice for sharing in the burdens of others, I revel at my fellowhip with the Lord through the Spirit.

Douglas Groothuis, Ph.D. said...

It helps to pray Scripture back to God, especially the Psalms. Group prayer, with serious people, helps keep things going and makes things deeper as well.

Anonymous said...

Doug - related to prayer and Scripture, I would most recommend
"Praying in the Word of God" by Kathleen G. Grant.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0974968404?tag=thebookreport01&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=0974968404&creative=373489&camp=211189

I had the privilege of praying with her years ago. She is a wonderful and well informed prayer warrior! I highly recommend her book.

Jim Pemberton said...

You'll probably never hear from the sons and daughters of Epaphras today. I suggest they are those who labor more quietly and diligently than anyone else among us.