Monday, March 19, 2007

More on reading

1. Here are two solid books on reading books:

A. Mortimer Adler, How to Read a Book.

B. James W. Sire, How to Read Slowly (InterVarsity Press, 1980). I'm not sure if this is still in print, but it is a wise read on how to read, especially related to discerning the worldview of the writer of any book.

2. Seek God as to what books you should purchase and read. Ask God to give you wisdom as you read to sort out the true from the false and to remember what is important for God's Kingdom work. See Colossians 3:17; 1 Corinthians 10:31; Matthew 6:33.

3. For the discipline of reading and study consider the conjunction of these two verses:

A. 24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. 26 Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. 27 No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. --1 Corinthians 9:24-27.

B. 11 The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails—given by one shepherd. 12 Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them. Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body. --Ecclesiastes 12:11-12.

Those called to study must discipline their bodies to that end--for the glory of God.

No comments: